Monday, November 26, 2007

Perpetual Lowbie

Hi. My name is Josh, and I'm an altoholic. (You all echo "Hi, Josh!". . . gosh, thanks for the support.)

I have been playing World of Warcraft since July 6, 2006. That's about a year and a third, for those who don't want to count. Guess how many level 70 characters I have. I'll give you a hint. It's a number that's shaped like an egg and rhymes with hero. Yes, 0. None, zip, zilch. I don't even have a single character over the level of the 60. In fact, my highest level character is a mere 41! Zoiks!

Why is that, you ask? I'm glad you asked! Otherwise this post would have gone nowhere. The answer is multi-faceted, but I'll try to simplify it. First, I like to try new things. I have a number of characters, specifically 8:
  • Troll mage - very lowbie
  • Draenei priest - 12
  • Night Elf druid - 14
  • Human paladin - 20
  • Blood Elf hunter - 23
  • Undead warlock - 29
  • Tauren shaman - 35
  • Night Elf druid - 41
Except for the mage, which is just a bank alt, and the 14 druid, who has been abandoned, those are all "actively played" to some extent. Now I realize that you can't take two level 35s and say they're equal to a level 70, but I'm pretty confident that if I had played the same amount of time, but all on one character, that I'd have a level 70 by now.

But there are people with more alts and more combined levels than me that still manage to have a top level character. So another factor is that I'm a casual gamer in the strictest sense of the word. I play now and then, probably averaging only single digits of play time in a week. I work full time and go to grad school. In fact, at one point I went about 2 months hardly signing on to WoW at all. I really enjoy WoW, but I don't make a second career out of it.

The biggest factor really is the alt-itis though. Saying that I have so many alts because I like to try new things is overly simplistic; there are many reasons for having such a plethora of toons. But my alt-itis is still going strong. Just last week I created a new character, the level 12 priest (Sanctimonia). Somebody stop me!

Anyway, I wonder if there are other perpetual lowbies like me out there, and what their excuses are. And I very much hope to have at least one 70 (probably the druid) by the time the next expansion comes out and the level cap is raised again. I might need a bit of an ass-kickin'.

No comments: